Saturday, February 26, 2011

Judgement....

I really do try hard not to proclaim judgement on people but on occasion I just can't help myself. Fortunately the last time we found a dog, sitting in the middle of Walker Road, it turned out she HADN'T been abandon as we suspected, she actually belonged to one of our neighbors, she was chipped but the information was old, finally found a lost ad on Craigslist. We had just about resigned ourselves to being the owner of a very gentle and easy going pit bull we called Brownie.

But I'm really disgusted with the current situation, Brownie was a pit bull so we avoided the humane society as Pit bulls aren't generally kept for adoption, or so I'm told. She did have a chip so perhaps that would have changed the situation but no sense in taking chances, besides many pit bulls are used as penis extenders for the less well endowed of our society.

But this is really pathetic.  One would never believe how absolutely gentle and docile this huge newf is, I've been calling him Darth but I don't really like it. I did in fact call the humane society and put "Darth" on the found dog list, newf rescue put a found ad on Craigslist and we've talked to people regarding him. not a SINGLE call, not one....

We've made some progress as all four feet have actually come into the house but he immediately leaves when you stop petting him or bribing him with treats. I'm fairly certain I could force him in, one pushing and one pulling, but it seems he would really be traumatized. He's perfectly content to sleep on he front porch in the 10 degree weather. Sure doesn't appear to be suffering from the cold.  He has a tremendously heavy coat and I suspect he would be uncomfortable in the house at a balmy 68. Regardless, I want him to have the opportunity.

We're going to go to Petsmart Sunday for a rabies clinic, he desperately needs to be groomed but they won't touch him without a rabies vaccination certificate.  Gnarley freaked out at the Petsmart door, I'm not sure how "Darth" will do, but I'm not optimistic. Come to think about it I wonder how we're going to get him groomed. Dang... We may try the garage door to the mud room since it's a lot smaller and he can survey it from the door. Plus FurB kinda hangs out in the mud room/laundry room and loves Gnarf (Gnarley + Newf)

How about Extra-Gnarley and calling him X? He truly is HUGE...

1 comment:

  1. you know, sometimes it takes a bit for the humane society thing. we almost hit a dog with the car (last year i think) but we took it home and called and fed it and then a couple days later the owner called us and we sent the dog home. and if that doesn't happen then he's probably better off anyways.

    ReplyDelete