Saturday, December 19, 2009

Squirt goes to a new home

Robert called just a few days ago and asked me if I'd like to sell Squirt, I said Maybe... He said he had a friend in Sacramento CA that was looking for a good, reliable quarter horse for his soon to be teenage daughter.  I asked Robert who it was and he told me Scott, Georgeanne and their daughter Carson. 

I had met Scott and Georgeanne on the trip to purchase PorkChop in Napa Valley.  We stopped by their house is near Sacramento, actually Loomis CA. At the time their two children were a toddler and a relative newborn.

Well like all of our horses I really love Squirt, he was the first horse born on the ranch, as I said last post.  He certainly wouldn't win any beauty contest, he has short legs and a powerful build all topped off with a rather large head.

I have riden Squirt more than any of the other horses, shown him in dozens of reinings and cow horse shows. He won the cow horse regional championship a few years back. He is exceptionally reliable, maybe not as flashy as some but he always finished in the money.

In all the time we've had Squirt he has NEVER bucked anyone off and I've never fallen off him, he's very careful and pays close attention to me, probably any rider. Robert's nine(9) year old daughter, Kristy, has riden Squirt bareback for several years.

Despite his short legs he can run like the wind, he'll catch ANY cow as long as you've got the nerve... He NEVER gives up or balks, he's got a HUGE heart and really tries to be just right.

We were at the county fair horse show a few years back. Squirt noticed the draft horses pulling a rather big, loud wagon. He was very concerned about the wagon and was very nervous and visibly upset.  I finally saddled him up and rode him behind the wagon so he'd know it wasn't going to get him. We did this for hours, everyone that we  went past at the fair got to pet him and give him treats. He finally got a little more comfortable but always watched the wagon so he knew exactly where it was.  Well my turn in the arena came up, I rode him over to the arena and OH NO the wagon pulls up right outside the arena and parks.  I thought for sure he'd dump me when we started our reining run. Nope, he kept watching, I could tell he was constantly aware of the wagon but he did his stuff just right. We didn't finish too good because the rider was so distracted by him being distracted that I lost count on the spins...

Today starts a new chapter in Squirts life.  He's going to have Carson all to himself. I have to believe that it's a recuring horse dream to belong to a young horse loving girl. 

Carson and family arrived yesterday, they picked up Squirt to go over to the 80 and give him a try... After going around the "block" a few times he was brought home to us for his final night here.  He was already in a nice warm horse blanket that Carson had brought just waiting for this morning.

Well the suns coming up and I'm headed out to feed him, all teary eyed, for the last time. I'll take a couple of peppermints (which he and most of our horses love).

One thing is for sure, I know he's going to a great place, probably heaven on earth for a horse... 

Merry Christmas Carson, Squirt.... Everyone.... and Happy New Year...


Squirt & Carson

1 comment: