Sunday, May 9, 2010

Chapter 5 | Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Well I have a few minutes... So here I am, trying yet again.  I'm behind in my watercolor class, but I don't think I'm as far behind as Susan... Maybe, but I don't think so.... HOWEVER in terms of quality Susan is unsurpassed...


Well we FINISHED the watercolor class, Susan has some EXCELLENT examples of what watercolor should look like....

On to Dublin....

The Dublin airport hence the bed and brekfast we stayed at were on the East side of the city... We were headed West. In general we were headed to Donegal by way of bed and breakfasts along the way.... Dublin is a big city, just like other big cities, there are lots of people, lots of stores lots of traffic.... There's also a lot of history and of course Guiness (which we never got to, but drank our share, well, I drank our share....

We did visit Trinity College, Dublin with the beutiful old library and the "Book of Kells". for more information on the "Book of Kells" see http://www.bookofkells.ie/book-of-kells/ . Four gospels in very ornate "caligraphy" and in Latin (circa 800). 

On leaving Dublin heading toward Donegal, we just drove and stopped when we saw things of interest. Same thing we did on our Colorado vacations.

So what did we find?  Castles, castles and more castles. Big castles, OLD castles (and some forts).... I think we must have stopped and explored, I don't know, maybe twenty different castles.

This was one of the first, as you can see a real tourist mecca, the tourist buses actually swarm onto some of the better known castles like the Blarney Castle.... So this out of the way castle was great fun. No one showed up the entire time we were there, as was the case with MOST.

We parked the car and walked

The three "children" Ed is off in the distance
and NO, it didn't rain the entire time we were there, but it was clear why Ireland is so green....

REMINDER - Third annual "surprise" birthday party for ME.... Saturday, May 22nd noonish.... Pulled Pork, aka Carnitas um Guacamole, Peach Margaritas and we'll see what else..... Don't tell me, it's a surprise..... 719.499.7758 for directions.... 

1 comment: