Saturday, January 9, 2010

So the 2010 New Year is here, there and everywhere....

Way back on New Years day when I started this post..., got sidetracked which is EASY when you're old.

And where was I when the New Year arrived, sleeping next to my lovely wife..That's right sleeping.... We went to Minnesota Suzi's for "taco bar", she fixed Peach Margaritas, Pork, Beef and chicken, we brought guacamole and other people brought various sides, I really can't remember everything that was there. While I cut up the avacados I drank two, or three peach margaitas, ok maybe four, regardless I sat in the chair next to the Christmas tree and consumed some pork and beef on nacho chips...hmmm...hmmm....hmmm.. I had to get the margaritas out of the way early OR let Susan drive home... enough about that...

Slept late the first day of the New Year, until 7 or so... fixed "Sour Cream Pancakes" out of Susans "new" cookbook... boy are those good,... and easy...

Now I'm just bummin' around for the remainder of the day.

Fast Forward to 10-January-2010

James commented that I hadn't posted anything in several weeks. It's true, it's not that I don't have anything to post it's just that I seem to have other things to do, things that "get in the way", like taking a nap... (don't tell), or watering the equine when it's 6 degrees outside...

We've had some BRUTAL cold day, one where the HIGH was 6 degrees and the overnight lows were in the negative double digits. 

We have two(2) diesel trucks and the van with no heater motor. Of course the van started right up, the trucks turned over but wouldn't start, well they turned over until Susie ran the battery down on "her" truck.  YES, they do have block heaters but it's hard to find extension cords and outlets around here as the horse water tanks need to be heated or they freeze SOLID. I had used all of the long extension cords on those leaving none for the vehicles.  Believe it or not we have NEVER had the trucks not start because it was just too cold. 

Santa left me a GREAT espresso maker and Mary (my mother-in-law) bought me a deep fat frier. Between the lattes and french fries I still haven't gotten down to 199.  Yup, that's right just a couple (1.5 actually) pounds over 200 and the New Years resolution is to break the 200 barrier.. Actually the reality is it's probably not as much the espresso machine and lattes as it is the "Pioneer Woman" cookbook Rachel bought Susie (who rarely cooks).  Check this out - Sour Cream Pancackes, Rib-eye with wiskey sauce, Blackberry cobbler, and the list goes on. We've tried (I've cooked) many and all are very good.

Enough about food, I'm making myself hungry and I'll have to run out and cook up some french fries....

Squirt is still is California. Carson has sent a couple of updates and a few more pictures. He seems to really be content, at least in the pictures. Carson gets along with him just fine.  They are getting to know each other so Squirt can take Carson "down the fence" at a reined cow horse show, very popular in California... I've put this link out here before so if you really want to know what we (mostly I, and Robert) do with our horses see the web-site that I created just for reined cow horses, http://www.rch.table-rock.com/ . The cow horse site has links to other interesting Quarter Horse, and "horse" sites...

Susan brought home YET ANOTHER cat the other day, a neutered male "Maine coon". He's really BIG and really hairy, VERY gentle and friendly.  The word on the street is that he "sprays" in the house.  I'm betting he just holds his tail up and twitches (making it LOOK like he's spratying) time will tell... I guess it doesn't really matter too much he's living in the "barn/garage", too many cats in the house already....

Amanda made it through ANOTHER Christmas.  She seems quite content and happy. She loves to lay in the snow at 6 degrees.  She is starting to show her age around her muzzle and in her eyes, Sometimes I think she might be dead because she doesn't hear too well (well I'm not sure about this, she seems to hear me get in the treat bucket (liver snacks) just fine). I have to touch her to make sure she's still breathing.

Kat is still hobbling along and seems very content. I will in the next couple of days take Harley and "RedMan" over to the 80 and bring back the the "two year olds" (they just had a birthday on January 1st, same as ALL horses)... I'll probably bring Cory (Squirts younger sister) over with them... Oh the two year olds are Belle, named after the race horse Eight Belles, Love Muffin (Roberts horse from Kat, her last baby) I call her Love Muffin (or Muffin) because her daddy's name is "The Love Man", haha..... I think Linda, Roberts wife calls her Miss Kitty, nice name but I've always called her Muffin and probably always will, the third one is hmmm can't recall her name, but she is also one of Roberts babies... Dang hate it when that happens.....

I really enjoyed the days off over the last couple of weeks. I consumed the remainder of 2009 vacation and just hung out with Susie (well one day I hung out ALL DAY while she went to work hmmm)...

I've decided that I really like my "Demand Planning" job. A lot more interaction with people than the previous IT job. But interesting, challenging and it keeps me on my toes. I think it's the "Going where no man has gone before" thing that makes it the most interesting. No one can really "train me", it's pretty much "learn" and pretty self directed... I still don't like "meetings" but at least I can ride my "wind-trainer" (fancy term for stationary bike), and maybe get to the 199 goal, soon....

It's Saturday morning, Susan went to her Palmer Lake Art Group meeting (she's the treasurer) so I have the house and the computer to myself. When she returns we're going to get the Rebecca grandchildren and spend the day playing in the sunshine (42.8 degrees today, higher tomorrow)... We're thinking about taking them to the zoo i n the morning, mostly so Gabe can use his new camera on something more interesting than "stuffed animals".

Oh yeah, I gave myself one other Christmas present... well or Santa brought another, whichever you choose... Susan painted this REAL NICE watercolor of California Poppies. I don't know if she posted it on her blog-site so I'm not going to, BUT I took a picture of the SECOND best thing I see from my pillow when I wake up in the morning (too dark to see at night). 


Anyone care to guess what the BEST thing I wake up to is?
Susan will have to upload the image (which has no reflections)



 Gabe the photographer, Yes it WAS as cold as it looks



Playing ON Palmer Lake, the ice is 4-6 inches thick enough to hold a car



As you can see he isn't too afraid, Bambis daddy, I think?



Squirt & Carson, bareback... Note the contrast between CA and CO. I'm convinced Squirt is really in heaven, he looks VERY content...

Cheers.....

No comments:

Post a Comment