Friday, November 13, 2009

I wish I had a job where I didn't have to EVER be right...... and Kat

You got it, weather guessers.....

So the last five days would have made algore and his followers happy, it's been warm, about normal maybe slightly warmer than normal. The snow from the last "winter storm warning" is nearly gone, mostly still around the trees and behind the barn. The HUGE mud puddles are starting to firm up and dry out, then guess what... another "winter storm warning". Of course most of the week (until yesterday) the weather guessers said maybe a little rain on Saturday. Yesterday cooling off on Friday MAYBE a little rain, possibly snow on Sunday (This is Friday the 13th). Weather Guesser Page for Black Forest. Now we're at 2 inches overnight, 3 inches tomorrow and "significant accumulations" for Sunday... Not only that as I type this it's SNOWING and they still say "partly cloudy".

I know no one is perfect, except my lovely wife, she's perfect for me, anyway I know most of us aren't perfect BUT my goodness the weather guessers are pathetic.  I knew four days ago that the slightest mention of snow meant 8-10 inches. All you have  to do is look at historical data put that together with what you can see to the west and shazzam... Never fails....

Just think if I was as "wrong" (for the lack of a better word) with my "forecast" in my job I simply wouldn't have a job.  My boss is talking 90% accuracy in my projections (guesses if you like). I use the same principles as the weather guessers but with an 18 month window and over 20,000 data streams.

So... I asked Susie if we needed to go anywhere tonight? "No" she says. I persude this with nothing at the grocery store? "Nope" she says "We can go tomorrow or Sunday".  OK let me put it this way, do you need ANYTHING before Tuesday? "Why Tuesday?" she asks... Well sweets we live at nearly 8000 feet, in Colorado where the weather guessers have said some number of (greater than 3) inches., and the department of transportation won't plow until Tuesday at the earliest).  If we need anything we aren't going to get it until Tuesday and that's optimistic. 

I took it upon myself to move all the vehicles to the leward side of the driveway so the drifts form in the grass (or what would normally be grass).

On the horse side... Kat, Susys 21 year old cutting/brood mare dodged the "bullet" yet again this year. She has severe arthritis  in her left front "knee", as she favors the good leg she causes damage to the lamina (material between the hoof and foot bones). When this breaks down enough it's called "founder" and the main (canon bone) rotates downward to the sole. Once this happens the chance of her getting better are slim to none. This is the scenario that killed the race horse Barbaro. Horses that have foundered can live long lives BUT when one leg is already marginal, well not much one can do. She came up sore a couple days ago, and REAL sore yesterday morning, she wouldn't choose to walk but I could lead her oh so slow.  Holly, one of the two vets from Rocky Mountain Equine Clinic came to have a look, being really smart Holly had a look and poked around before coming in to talk with us, we didn't know she was here. she knows how nosey and pesky  I am. In anycase she had exactly the same opinion I did, that Kat had foundered and wouldn't make it. BUT she brought the trusty digital x-ray and luckely the bones were still in place. She pushed the "button" and seven seconds later on the laptop screen there was her x-ray with the bone looking a-ok... As it turned out she has a massive abcess that hadn't ruptured, the pressure in her foot causes the pain... So now she has to put up with foot soak in epson salts twice a day... Another good day on the ranch....

No comments:

Post a Comment